Flora’s Gingerbread Recipe
The recipe for Seumas’s mother Flora's delicious homemade gingerbread.
Seumas’s mother Flora is another vital link in making your trip to St Kilda a once in a lifetime experience, as she supplies the homemade gingerbread you will enjoy with a tea or coffee in Village Bay once you have explored St Kilda. And if Rosie is down at granny's when she's baking, she obviously likes to lend a hand! Due to popular demand, we decided to share the recipe. Enjoy!
4 oz. margarine
6 oz. sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1 tbsp. syrup
1 tbsp. treacle
8 oz. plain flour
1 tsp. mixed spice
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
1 cup / 200ml hot water
1. Cream margarine and sugar, add eggs and beat well.
2. Add syrup and treacle to creamed mixture.
3. Mix together flour and spices and fold them into mixture.
4. Mix bicarbonate of soda with water and add to the mixture.
5. Spoon into a greased and base-lined 2 Ib. loaf tin.
6. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180C/350F/Gas mark 4 for 1 hour.